Many of us take sleep for granted. It is common to stay up late and ignore the need for sleep. Many people are unaware just how important sleep really is
Benefits of Proper Sleep
1. During sleep our body not only rests but it also heals and repairs itself. Tissue growth and muscle repair occur during sleep.
2. The digestive system rests, so that food is properly digested.
3. The immune system also prepares for a new day.
4. Recent studies show that fat cells need sleep to function properly, showing that sleep has a vital role in their response to insulin and in energy metabolism.
5. The brain also needs sleep to function properly, for memory, attentiveness, and reaction time.
6. The proper amount of sleep can be related to obesity. Sleep helps regulate the hormones ghrelin and leptin that help the body feel hunger and satiety. Sleep deprivation may create the desire to overeat and affect our weight.
7. Proper sleep levels affect our day to day energy level and thus our ability to be productive.
8. Sleep deprivation can increase our risk for heart disease.
We all need Approximately 8 hours of sleep a night. Some people require more sleep then others. Teens commonly need 8.5- 9 ¼ hours of sleep a night. Knowing how much sleep you need means listening to your body’s natural signals and responding to it’s needs. Using self control and going to bed at regular hours each night helps our bodies to heal and function properly. When we get plenty of sleep and go to bed at regular times our bodies will begin to wake up early naturally, and we will no longer need an alarm.
What Does the Bible Say About Sleep?
The biblical concept of sleep is linked with labor. Man is to work six days a week and rest on the seventh.
Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine ass may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.
The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep.
Many scriptures show us that if we walk according to God’s Word we will have peaceful sleep.
My son, do not let them depart from your eyes; keep sound wisdom and judgment, and they shall be life to your soul, and grace to your neck; then you shall walk in your way safely, and your foot shall not stumble. When you lie down, you shall not dread; yea, you shall lie down and your sleep shall be sweet.
Are you getting enough sleep each night? Stay tuned to learn some simple remedies to help insomnia.